All posts by Madibaz Radio

Madibaz Radio is an urban contemporary campus radio station that is focused on providing edutainment to the youth of Nelson Mandela Bay.

Dora Nginza Dr accused of assaulting minor

 

gg

Port Elizabeth- In the quiet Coega village community I met a deeply devout Christian family and a daughter who is visibly traumatized after being allegedly assaulted physically and verbally by well-known Port Elizabeth Gynaecologist Oncologist, Dr Mfundo Mabenge.

Dr Mabenge allegedly assaulted 16-year-old girl at the Summerstrand Seventh Day Adventist church over the weekend in full presence of the girl’s mother and other church members.

“He came to me and my sister and another woman during the church’s lunch hour and started shouting at us [my sister and I] saying that we were naughty and that we don’t listen. He then turned to look at me and said my behaviour was worse, I then stepped back as he came closer. He poked me in the face then slapped me” said the minor.

It is alleged that Mabenge followed the girl to the bathroom as she was going to freshen her face up after she had been assaulted by the Dr who is also a church elder. As the girl was leaving towards the bathroom she alerted her mom, Koliswa Hoyi, who then questioned why her child was hit by the Doctor.

“My mom then asked him why he had hit me, he then said that he is going to hit me again then began slapping and punching me,” added the teen.
According to the Hoyi the misunderstanding between the two families started at a church camp in Cape Town where her daughter could not sew a skirt belonging to Dr Mabenge’s daughter. The mother, Nontuthuzelo Mabenge, then demanded that the skirt be sewn saying the spirit of the church was to always assist one another which she and her husband have always done. However, the misunderstanding was seemingly resolved by the two girls as they did each other make up on the trip.

Naziziphiwo Buso

Nelson Mandela Municipality blames NHBRC for Motherwell house collapse

Port Elizabeth- Nelson Mandela Bay Municipal MMC of Human Settlements, Nqaba Bhanga, and Executive Director for Human Settlements, Nolwandle Gqiba, have vowed to take legal action against National Home Builders Registration Council (NHBRC).

At a press briefing in City Hall on Thursday, the aforementioned addressed the media on the suspended housing project in Motherwell NU29 following the death of a resident who died after one of RDP duplexes collapsed on him.

According Councillor Nqaba Bhanga the municipality has requested that the NHBRC to release the long awaited consolidated report on the failed housing project in NU29 after claiming the lives of two residents in just two months.

“The design of the [NU29 RDP] structures were not approved by the municipality and external forensic engineers hired by the municipality” said Bhanga.
Bhanga further blamed the Minister of Human Settlements, Lindiwe Sisulu, for the suspended R600- million housing project, saying that the decentralisation of housing projects in the metro makes it difficult for the municipality to work efficiently as they are not the implementing agent for housing development.

The executive director of Human Settlements, Nolwandle Gqiba, also reiterated the same view as the MMC saying that the NHBRC approved the erection of the houses without the design of the duplexes being approved by the municipality. Gqiba added that there is nothing that could be done to rectify the structures or even demolish them until the NHBRC finalised its report on them.

Gqiba concluded that the budget for rectification was 10% of the R600-million Human Settlements development grant allocated annually as per the Division of Revenue Act.

The municipality will increase the security at the housing project to protect the houses which have been demolished since their construction in 2013. And urges people to stop demolishing the structures as they not qualified to do so.

However residents of the area, who did not want to be named, say that they will action and demolish the structures as they have only brought about crime and violence to the area.

Naziziphiwo Buso & Lwando Nomoyi

 

“This is some Panayiotou sh*t”- resident of murdered Summerstrand couple.

police

Port Elizabeth – These were the first words uttered by one of the residents following the murder of his landlords identified as Andre and Lydia Saaiman on the weekend.

The elderly couple that lived at Summerstrand 2nd Avenue were last seen by the source who wants to remain anonymous on Saturday whist making tea.
This morning the bodies of the couple were found with axe wounds by the police in a locked room after the daughter of the couple was heard screaming hysterically following the discovery of what looked like a robbery.

According to our source the house was in upside down, the safe was cleared out, CCTV footage was stolen but no forced entry was noted.

In a twist, one of the three caretakers that work on the many properties owned by the couple has disappeared but has left his room open with no visible packing.

Police are still on the scene.

Naziziphiwo Buso

Body of male foetus found in Veeplaas

foetus

Port Elizabeth – The body of a male foetus was found in an open field used as a rubbish dump in Veeplaas on Friday [3/11/17].

 Community members of Veeplaas alerted the police at 08:00am on Friday. The site has been used as a rubbish dump by community for a numbers of years.

The body is being suspected to be from an unborn male baby, possibly due to abortion. An autopsy and forensic analysis of the body will determine the age of the baby, cause of death and assist in the identification of the parents. An inquest docket was opened at Kwazakele police station.

Police are making an appeal to the community of Veeplaas and surrounding areas to assist police in the identification of the mother.

Any person that could assist police in this investigation to please contact Detective Captain Hendrik Swart at 082 442 1817.

Lwando Nomoyi

31 year old rapist sentenced to life imprisonment, Nelson Mandela Bay

bars pic

Port Elizabeth- 31- year- old Simphiwe Phukane was sentenced to life imprisonment for the rape on Friday [3/11/12] at the Port Elizabeth High Court.

Phukane was also handed a three year sentence for assault GBH and an additional one year for the abduction. He was not given leave to appeal the sentence.

The sentencing follows after Phukane had sexually assaulted  a 12 year old girl in the  Dora Nginza Hospital toilets. He threatened the young girl with a screwdriver from where she was playing in Ndukwa Street and abducted her. A group of about 80 residents caught and assaulted the suspect and handed him to the police.

The Acting Motherwell Cluster Commander, Brigadier Lindelwa Vellem applauded the good investigation done by the investigation officer of Motherwell Family Violence and Child Protection Unit (FCS), Warrant Officer Riaan Botha, and the resulting sentence handed down by the High Court. “The protection of our women and children is one of our key focus areas and criminals that continue to rape and assault our young women should take note that long imprisonment awaits them” she added.

According to police spokesperson Andre Beetge, with the run up towards the 16 Days of No Violence Against Women and Children, the police are pleased with the outcome in a Kwazakeke Rape case which took place on 11 March 2017. Added Beetge

Lwando Nomoyi

 

NIGERIAN PASTOR’S CASE POSTPONED PENDING INVESTIGATION

lwando

Port Elizabeth – Disgraced Nigerian pastor Timothy Omotoso appeared briefly in Newlaw magistrate court on Wednesday.

The state argued that the case should be postponed for further investigation in December. However, the investigation is for the centralisation of the cases pending against Omotoso. The Magistrate agreed to wait on the National Director of Public Prosecution to merge the cases against Omotoso next month.

Charges

Omotoso faces 22 charges relating to sexual exploitation and human trafficking after eighteen more charges were added to the original four. He is alleged to have sexually abused several young women at his church in Umhlanga, Durban, under the pretext of healing them.

The disgraced Nigerian pastor was arrested on the 20th of April by the Hawks shortly after he landed at the Port Elizabeth International Airport. He had been evading arrest for days after the scandal came out. Rumours had made rounds that he had already skipped the country.

At the airport, he had apparently tried to avoid arrest by first lying about his flight’s arrival time then hiding in public toilets at the airport when he found armed officers waiting for him.

The court case is postponed to the December 5th.

Lwando Nomoyi

THE NMB FIRST EVER GOSPEL AWARDS

Gospel Awards

Port Elizabeth- The Nelson Mandela Bay held its very first Gospel Music Awards on the 21st October, held at the Nangoza Jebe in New Brighton. The event was of a high level, from the red carpet, people looking amazing, to the performances from the choir and the artists as well. 

The main idea behind these awards was to give recognition to the local artists who worked tirelessly spreading the word of God. Talking with one of the nominees from the red carpet, Bukiwe Zigweyi who said that “I am very happy about the awards, because that simply means as artists we no longer have to go to other provinces, Gauteng to be specific in order to get recognition”. Bukiwe was one of the nominees for the Best New Comer.

One of the people who have attended the awards is a legend in the music industry,  Sizwe Zako. Zako has worked with different artists in the industry, producing music for artists such as Rebecca Malope and Vuyo Mokeana to name few. Zako explained how happy he is that finally Eastern Cape has its own Gospel Awards, saying the fact that people or musicians had to move to Jo-burg in order to get recognition had always bothered him, but now that there is awards he has hope that greater things are yet to come to the city.

The awards started at 5pm with the opening performance from the choir that made the whole house to feel the presence of the spirit. After the performance artists were awarded starting from Best Male artist which was taken by Sebenzile Hlafani. Then it move to Best Gospel Group, which was taken by St Johns Choir. Soon after Mzimeni Menti delivered his performance. The awarding continued with Best Female artist, taken by SD Marhawu, and then the Best Male award taken by Zukile Matshaya. Speaking with him after he took his award, Mr Matshaya, explained how happy he was to get the award and thanked his fans who had voted for him. Mr Matshaya said “I didn’t expect to get this award, but now that I have it, this will keep me going and I am very much grateful to God for the talent He gave me”.

The choir was on stage again, delivering its best performance. The award continued on the Best Supporting Church and the Empowerment Church took the award. Pastor Xhalabile took the award of Best Gospel Supporter. After that award it came to the most valued award of the night, which was given to Mr Sizwe Zako, the Honour Award. Best praise song was taken by Mzimeni Menti, Best Worship song by Sinethemba Mjuza. Before the event come to an end with one last award to be called, the founder of the Nelson Mandela Bay Gospel Awards, Mr Khumbulani Qekema was called on stage. Mr Qekema explained how tough the journey was into making sure that these awards become a success, saying with many challenges and having a tough time in finding sponsors, but he managed to pull through and he is very grateful to God for giving him the strength and a very hard working team.

When he was about to step down, he urged people to always fight to make their dreams become a reality as he, himself had a dream of making gospel awards in PE since he was a child, and he worked hard in making that dream a reality. He said people should work with what they have, and not depend or wait for help from someone else.

Mr Qekema stepped down and the last award was called, which was Best gospel song award and that was taken by Thembelani Mbilini and then he closed off with his song titled Noah. 

 

Nosipho Keuti